Friday, November 11, 2011

Kitchen Under-cabinet $10 Redo!!!

I have always been somewhat messy, disorganized, cluttered organizationally challenged. I love the idea of order, it's the execution that is a challenge for me. Mentally, I am very organized. I can keep tons of appointments and ideas juggling around quite nicely. It's just the physical manifestation of order that baffles me. Even more frustrating- when I DO have things well organized, they never look cute like in the magazine.


Enter my new cute (cheap, instant) under closet faux-appliance garage :)



Look at the difference! I have a number of friends who keep all their goods neatly stowed in cupboards and off the counter. Doesn't work as well in our house. Partly due to lack of cupboard space. Exacerbated by my knack for needing something WAY in the back of a cabinet and pulling everything else out onto the floor to get that thing out. Leaving it on the seems to work better for me than a layer of cabinet spewed all across my kitchen.



I was inspired by a Pinterest pin. (See- I do sometimes actually DO the cute things I pin!) It came from a Martha Stewart page. I think the intent was to highlight the beauty and order of laundry supplies. But my eyes went instantly to that curtain lurking in the upper left, thinking... ooh- what a great way to hide my laundry room shelves that are not and will never be that orderly and lovely.

This whole project was over within an our. I found a cute clearance shower curtain. I have an eggplant wall in the adjoining living room, so this tied things together nicely. I may have mentioned this before, but I don't sew. Don't. Yes, I know, this would be an easy straight stitch, but I went with an iron and some Stitch Witchery instead, Just cut the shower curtain in thirds, hemmed it up, and slid it through several $1.99 tension curtain rods, which nestle nicely in the under-cabinet area. Done. I recommend the small clip on curtain rings- they slide better. Also cheap.





Here is the teapot/fizzy storage area. I also have one over the coffee pot etc. corner.


What do you think- compare the before and after shots!


Love! LOVE! (Though now I have a hankering for darker cabinets- drat!... not this season :)

2 comments: